So you might have noticed I’ve been absent from my blog for a while?
2017 was quite a year…
Between work, family, my dad’s illness, and renovating our new house there hasn’t been much time for this fun blog of mine.
But when Erin from Lemons, Lavender, and Laundry sent out a note that she was hosting another challenge in January, I decided it was time to get rolling again!
If you aren’t familiar with the challenge, you can read the backstory of the $100 Room Challenge here.
It’s basically one room redesigned over one month for $100 or less. YIKES!
What room am I tackling over the next 30 days?
Our Jungle Book laundry room….
Laundry Room Makeover for under $100
When we bought the house last summer, I knew there would be much to do inside and out.
While the house is fairly new, the previous owners (who built the house) had a fairly flamboyant style that just isn’t us.
We’ve been making the house and gardens over and finally feel like progress is being made. So I decided it was time for the laundry room to get a facelift…
To transform it from the current Jungle Book theme to a look that is a little more our style. Something that is more of a potting room.
(This photo is from the realtor when we bought the house. Just to give you a true perspective on what we are working with here!)
I love arranging fresh flowers I pick up cheaply at the grocery store, and potting up plants to keep our house looking and smelling clean all year round.
When we were preparing to build when we moved to Michigan last year, I found these photos for potting rooms. We were going to add it to our house plan before we found the house we eventually bought.
Aren’t they fun?
So I’m trying to use the small counter area and sink in our laundry room, as well as the cabinets above it for my own little potting area.
Here’s what I’m hoping to accomplish:
- Make over this space to be both a functional laundry room and a potting room. I love fresh flowers and want to set this space up to organize the 57 vases I’ve acquired over the years along with all my floral supplies.
- Keep my laundry supplies easy to access given the fact that I’m 5’3″ if I stretch and these cabinets are set fairly high.
- Shop my current stash of wall and home decor to come up with a look that is more potting room and less Jungle Book.
- I’m planning to paint the walls with a warmer, more inviting color (the room doesn’t have any windows so it’s fairly dark), paint the trim on the builder-grade cabinets in a contrasting color, and paint both doors (I’ve been painting all of the interior doors in the house and love the pop of color it provides!).
- Replace the plastic hardware on all the cabinet doors.
- Make a sink skirt in a fun fabric for under the ugh-ugh–ugly laundry sink.
- Buy an inexpensive area rug that will cover the beat up flooring until we replace it next year.
Fingers crossed that I can get it all done over the next few weeks of the $100 Room Challenge!
Be sure to visit all of the other bloggers who are participating in this challenge…
Until next time,